Thursday, May 5, 2011

Charity Walk for Multiple Sclerosis


This year I joined Walk MS Manhattan to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis. 

Multiple Sclerosis is an autoimmune disease that effects the central nervous system and brain. There are many symptoms of MS, some of which include muscle spasms, fatigue, depression, loss of feeling in the arms and legs, etc. It is a debilitating disease with no known cure yet.

Funds raised by the walk will go towards programs and essential services for people living with MS and to support research initiatives for the cause, treatment and cure. Overall, I raised $390 in four days. Thats $40 over my goal and I could not have done it without the support of my friends and family.

Every donation, no matter how big or small, makes an impact. I learned that $37 pays for two hours of personal assistance for simple things we take for granted such as bathing, $75 pays for counseling when a loved one is diagnosed with MS, and $250 can cover three sessions of rehabilitation. A person with MS can develop so much pain in their body that they are unable to function and move without assistance.

On Saturday, April 30, I walked along with 7,000 other participants in Manhattan. I chose to do the 6 mile walk. Initially, I was going to do the 3 mile walk but my friends encouraged me to do the 6 miles. I finished in a little over an hour. 

The route took me from the South Street Seaport to the Brooklyn Bridge over to the Brooklyn Promenade and back. Green was my path.


It was a gorgeous day and the walk ended with a party, music, activites for the kids, and lots of free beverages and food. I highly recommend Walk MS as it was extremely organized by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Im looking forward to Bike MS in the Fall.

Thank you all for your support and lets keep working towards a happier and healthier world.

For Donations:
National MS Society
Attn: Walk MS
P.O. Box 10123
Uniondale, NY 11555

No comments:

Post a Comment