Sunday, October 9, 2011

Macaron Parlour, I Surrender

Laduree Macaron Tower Display
Macarons, they're back.

Did they ever really leave? Laduree gave New York something to talk about again in regards to macarons when they opened up their first shop in the United States on the Upper East Side in August. The rumored originator of the macaron has a macaron bouncer to regulate crowd control. Yes, there is a line and the people want their macarons.

While Laduree has their macarons shipped from France and focuses on classic flavors, Macaron Parlour is a small business based in New York City owned by Christina and Simon. They bake their own macarons, fill them with atypical buttercreams and ganaches, and sell them at food bazaars and flea markets. Macaron Parlour feels very local and they have given the macaron a twist with their sweet and savory flavors. Their macarons are not only classy but are also cool.

After tasting the S'mores macaron of Macaron Parlour a few weeks back at Madison Square Eats, I was hooked. It's been awhile since I've had a macaron that good and I haven't stopped bragging about it since. The flavor was just so unexpected. Looking at the macaron, it looked normal. But upon first bite, hidden marshmallow gave way and it was just like s'mores in macaron form. I swear this macaron satisfied the cravings of any campfire and star gazing desire I never even knew I had. Yes, that good.

S'mores
I went back and bought a box of eight to sample. I was hoping to get the s'mores flavor again but it was not available. I picked an eclectic mix which later turned out to make total sense. @Stellaaa helped me sample and polish off the macarons. In order to enjoy the macarons properly, we created our very own system of eating the macarons: The Macaron Parlour Tasting Menu. The tasting menu is meant to take you on an eating journey of flavors from appetizer and main dish to dessert and beyond.

Macaron Parlour Tasting Menu

Appetizer
Passion Fruit
Strawberries and Cream

Entree
Candied Bacon with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Caramel Fleur de Sel

Dessert
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
Nutella

Tea Time
Earl Grey

November Bonus
Pumpkin

8 out of the 11 available flavors today at Macaron Parlour
My favorites were the Passion Fruit, Candied Bacon with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting, Caramel Fleur de Sel, and Earl Grey. The bacon macaron was quite a surprise. There was a meaty bacon sliver in the cream cheese frosting! I could get used to savory macarons. It was like food, not candy-like or cookie-ish. I felt that the Nutella and Peanut Butter and Chocolate were too faint. I found the Strawberries and Cream more on the sweet side and the Pumpkin jumpin' with nutmeg. I'm a little torn on the Pumpkin. It was like eating pumpkin pie and definitely conjured up feelings of Fall and Thanksgiving. While novel, I can't say I love it in macaron form, but I did enjoy it. I look forward to trying other Macaron Parlour flavors such as Cookies and Cream and Thai Chili. And if I ever meet the S'mores again, I will have s'more.

Photography Credits: Desmond Chow, Roxwriting

Laduree
864 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10021

Macaron Parlour
Madison Square Eats
23rd Street and 5th Avenue

2 comments:

  1. Ok. this post just made me drool and wish to be in YS at the same time! Haha! I want a Macaron parlour in OC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Janice for stopping by. Surely there must be macarons in the OC. I know you guys have cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete